Recovery Station provides Accredited Exercise Physiologists for our clients. Exercise physios can help with a range of different conditions and utilise their skills in exercise prescription. Combined with their training in behaviour change they can help clients manage their health independently.
Accredited exercise physiologists are allied health professionals who work in many settings including hospitals, health services, community health centres and in private practice. They are recognised by Medicare, Department of Veterans’ Affairs and other health funds, and prescribe exercise to help people with injuries, persisting pain, chronic disease, depression and weight management.
What makes Accredited Exercise Physiologists different to other exercise professionals?
- They are university qualified and undertake strict accreditation requirements
- They are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and WorkCover and are recognised by most private health insurers
- They can treat and work with all types of people, those who want to improve their health and well-being to those unfortunately living with a chronic disease
- AEPs have the skills and experience to prescribe exercise for chronic disease and injury
Why a GP may refer clients to an Accredited Exercise Physiologist:
- To improve the client’s quality of care
- To improve the client’s quality of life
- To support the client to increase his/her physical activity levels in a safe way
Exercise physiologists focus on assisting people with:
- Reducing the number of fatal heart attacks by up to 50%
- Recovering from cancer treatment quicker
- Improving the breathing of those with lung disease by 70%
- Reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes by almost 60%
- Combating depression and the effects of medication
- Improving recovery rate after surgery
- Reducing the pain and movement of those with osteoarthritis
- Managing your chronic pain
- Managing postpartum recovery
Recovery Station has a dedicated Client Services Manager to discuss all referral requirements and help match the client with a clinician who will best meet his or her individual needs.